
Healthinfo Island is a place in Second Life where you can get health information.
I visited the island today and walked around the house, an excercise which I still find very frustrating (literally I take two steps forward and one back due to the time lapse effect you find when adjusting showers or talk to Italy on the phone.) I prefer information to be on boards outside where you can walk around more easily and see what's there. The screens in the picture are sited in sitting rooms. I sampled the 'mental health' one and it offered me links to the sites of reliable Mental Health organisations, (mostly American.) You could also watch (in theory, I tried it but it seemed very clunky and I couldn't get it to work,) a video tutorial from the National Library of Medicine on the subject of evaluating Internet health resources. There are some boards outside where you can read information on diabetes. I was interested in these but find Second Life boards very difficult to read: my eyes get tired with peering at the tiny writing and my head gets in the way. The experience is rather frustrating. Quite frankly if I was ill Second Life is probably the last place I would go for information, when the Internet is so much easier to use. As a Brit, I would go straight to NHS Direct or phone 08454647 or my Doctor. However, I guess it serves the Second Life community well, will probably be developed further and it is well publicised by Second Life themselves.
Comments