Online Map applications


We are all being trained this week in how to use online maps (in case we didn't know before.) Microsoft now have Bing Maps, a rival to Google Maps, which presented me with a rather sweetly old fashioned map reminiscent of the ones in the old AA handbooks, with little 3d flags to mark you your destination (I feel as if I am in a classic cars rally.)I see I live 13.9 miles from work and it should take me 25 minutes to get there (a slight over estimation of time if anything.) I tried using the zoom in facility but this radical move seemed to perplex the poor program. After refreshing and trying again the city map worked and then the street map. This was all very well and efficient but not half as exciting as Google Street View, where you can see a photo of your street (if you live in a reasonably built up area that they have got around to photographing.)
OS Open Data gave a much more modern looking clear map that fills a wide screen with no bumph at the side. This is most pleasing, also we learned that our office sits on top of a Roman road, which was a surprise. You can use your mouse wheel to zoom in and out to get different views. OS Open Data is not designed to give directions, but on the other hand you can create your own map using their developer tools (adding your own markers, drawing on rectangles (eg. for surveyors) and order copies. You can do many of these things with Google Maps too. Bing Maps has a more limited similar facility called "My Places" where you can add push pins and trails to map and email copies to friends. Next I tried MapQuestUK Scrolling with the wheel takes you up and down on this one, not in and out. There were more levels to zoom to. Mapquest told me I lived 14.3 miles from work. They took me by my usual route and the journey would take me 24 minutes. They seemed to be the same as Streetmap as far as I could see and did nothing more or less exciting than maps and directions (and display lots of adverts.)Finally I turned to Ye olde tried and trusted Streetmap. I see Streetmap now also gives you options to display Lettings, homes, hotels, jobs and businesses, similar to Google Maps but I couldn't see that it gives directions. Google Maps offered me three routes to work, the quickest they suggested would take 28 minutes and 14.4 miles. They had lots of views including satellite views and street view.
If I wanted a map to see the lie of the land I would use OS Open Data. If I wanted directions I use the AA route planner ("32 minutes 13.8 miles") as normal. If I want to get the feel of a place or snoop on where my friends live I use Google street view. If I want a map I usually go to streetmap. Old habits die hard, and in business its often more important to be the first than to be the best.

Comments