Photocopier hell

Today I decided to write an instruction manual on how to do double sided photocopying and reduce and enlarge originals. The machine (a Kyocera KM-5035) would not give my card back so I turned it off and on again (first rule of machines.) This wiped my first card. First rule of photocopiers: The photocopier is not a machine as you know it it is a demon. Never turn it off.
I worked on the drafts of the instruction document. Each time I followed my own instructions something different happened, depending on what I had done immediately before. I discovered the second rule of photocopying, always press "clear" before starting a new task.
I wrote "Select A4 paper" only to discover that there were two A4 buttons, one was A4 portrait and one was A4 landscape. The machine would not give my card back again. I opened the box and fed it out using the wheel, as I have often done for readers. I discovered when putting it back in that this had wiped my second card. (arrgh.)
Third rule of photocopiers: if your card gets stuck wait three minutes and the machine will spit it out of its own accord. In fact, the machine spat my card out every few minutes whenever I stopped to read or re-write my instructions. ARRRRRGGGGGH. I tried enlarging, fine, but when reducing the machine kept looking for A5 paper, as the button for "reduce from A3 to A4" also included the "reduce from A4 to A5" button. . The secret here is to tell the photocopier in no uncertain terms what paper you intend to use (i.e. A4 landscape) before pressing the "70%" button.
Now I can imagine how our readers feel. Just as well I now have an excellent set of instructions telling you how to avoid all pitfalls.

Comments