Managing Digital Data

Recently I went to an interesting day conference in Cambridge on "Managing your Digital Data" . I was inspired to go because at the recent Libraries@Cambridge conference it became very evident that data management is a hugely important issue in information management, and I wanted to learn more about the nuts and bolts involved. The slides for the presentations are available from that webpage.

-I learned that different research funding bodies have different requirements for open access and long term preservation of data: DCC provide a guide to funders' data policies in table form.

-I learned that often digital resources are created in a different format from that used by the digital repository: A protocol called SOAP is used to improve interoperability.

-A digital resource manager's post involves keeping senior managers aware of the funding restriction guidelines so that they become aware that funding opportunities may be lost if the institution does not meet the digital repository requirements.

-A digital resource manager needs a good grasp of IPR Different publishers have different copyright restriction guidelines in their contracts: the SHERPA RoMEO project keeps a record of publisher’s copyright policies.

-It is important to store data from research projects, not just the results.

-A digital resources manager needs to define procedures so that each article has a record. They must decide what the record should include. Repository staff who are experts in metadata markup language, usually that defined through the Dublin Core metadata initiative, manipulate data and records. Users can be encouraged to use Dublin Core metadata in the creation of their data and records.

-DSpace@Cambridge and the Incremental project have provided support resources on data management

Discussions included the issues of size restrictions and the fact that repositories are not for working copies but only for storing final versions. Many of the people on the course were support staff like myself but there were a few genuine researchers to practice on. The slides contain links to a lot of valuable resources.
I felt the day was very worthwhile and I met some interesting people there.

Comments