I abandoned my Raspberry Pi for a few months
as I was very stuck but when I tried it again from a different point I
've more or less caught up to where I was before, thanks to TekBoi's Python beginners tutorials
which are very helpful. Now I see that Simon the Pi man is recommending that we learn Vi/Vim: a text editor.
This performs similar functions to Office Word: if you are in Vim and
hit "esc." it turns every single key on your keyboard into some hotkey
type function (see the cheat sheet). Do they really expect me to use this? REALLY?
you must be kidding. [But of course there is no "them:" what I really
mean is, "will I need/choose to learn how to use Vim to propel myself
further along my Raspberry Pi adventure?"]. This looks very hard and deep
breaths will be needed.....Also not quite sure what I will need it for
or if I will ever need it. I am using Python to write code. Vim
can edit in the command line or can work as a standalone text editor. Will I need/want to edit in the
command line? Where do developers do their developing all day? the mystery deepens.....And this wierd archaic
crankiness was voted top text editor in 2006 amongst Linux Journals
readers, which is really quite recently... Apparently developers love it because your fingers don't have to leave the keyboard to use a mouse (shock horror).

Comments