Yes you read me right. I recently attended the Dublin launch of the book Illustrated Collection of Limericks for Engineers and Physicists by Annraoi de Paor with cartoons by Jane Courtenay. Annraoi de Paor is a retired Professor of Engineering who has spent many years at University College Dublin. As a good teacher, he went to great lengths to try to persuade his students to remember various complicated equations and laws, coming up with the ingenious idea of putting the information into limerick form. This book is the result.
I gave a copy to my daughter, an engineering student in Liverpool, (at both universities there, as it happens, but that is another story.) She was delighted with it and recognised many of the laws and concepts, although they are mainly relevant for electrical engineers.
Attendees at the launch were delighted by the limericks, and to hear the address given by /Dr. Paddy Prendergrast, the Provost of Trinity College Dublin (known to all as Paddy, I am assured, although this sounds a little presumptuous coming from my pen - and much esteemed Annraoi is known to all as Harry Power). You can find out more about book and order it in hard copy or ebook edition from Tyndall books ISBN 0952597404
http://tyndallpublications.eu/paor_limericks.html 20 Euros the book is a bit pricy but that is because a high proportion goes to a Catholic children's charity.
At the launch I also met the poet and physicist Iggy McGovern from whom I was very glad to purchase his copy of A Mystic Dream of 4 which is the life of William Rowan Hamilton told in poetry, a book which I enjoyed very much. http://iggymcgovern.com/ .
The Irish Times covered the event which was held in a University College Dublin building on St Stephen's Green (i.e. it was very cool.) http://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/learning-the-easy-way-with-limericks-1.1592689
Comments