Altmetrics



[Andy Tattersall, author of Altmetrics: What they are and why they should matter to the library and information community of Sheffield University talks about Altmetrics.]

A reader today asked me what I knew citation metrics and about Altmetrics so I showed him around some Scopus and Web of Science citation report options and then I looked up the subject further.


A good introduction to the subject is an excellent 'Chronicle of Higher Education' article outlining what altmetrics is and how it is used  and there is information about altmetrics on the Altmetrics websitewww.altmetric.com.

I remembered that one of our librarians attended a talk on the subject at SpotOn (Science Policy, Outreach and Tools Online,) London.

The 2014 SpotOn (Science, Policy, Outreach and Tools Online) London conference encouraged caution in the interpretation and use of Altmetrics. [one speaker was Marie Boran  [see an unrelated powerpoint presentation by her on the same subject]. You can see a range of some other SPOTOn videos on similar subjects.

There was an earlier SpotON talk on the subject and  you can watch the one hour video of this discussion.

Comments