A friend advised me to use DigitalOcean as a virtual server for my website (see my previous post) so I decided to do so. Talk about a steep learning curve!
You can do a one click install for Wordpress, yes, but then you have to enable it using SSH. To do this on my Windows computer I had to install Putty and learn how to use it.
Yes, folks, that is using the magical and legendary command line. My Wordpress login then appeared, looking normal. Then I innocently went to try to upload my Studiopress theme to my Wordpress website. Error! Ubunto only allows you to upload 2M by default and if you want to upload more all you have to do is log in using Putty and edit the Ubunto .php file to say 16M. ARRGh! I managed that but then did not know how to save and exit which created rogue swp files. Still haven't tracked them down yet but the hunt is on.
a Then I decided that I must have ftp so I could poke around visually. VSFTP is what you meant, did you not? I learned.
Here is how to use
. In short, Yipee! A whole ocean of unknown unknowns that we all should have learned years ago. Excellent stuff. A project for the whole summer, and by the end of it I will be computer Guru God to all my friends. Ask me another...
Comments