Two Point Five Cheers for the Library

The book of this name by Outi Pickering appeared in our library this week - someone must have bought it at a conference- and I was delighted to read it. It exactly chronicles what life in an NHS library is like : honestly I felt like this woman had been spying on my colleagues and I. Everything is exactly the same as our life here; the library gets moved into a broom cupboard, all life revolves around biscuits, Estates turn up to improve security by installing various wierd and wonderful measures and everyone gets locked out, a temporary library assistant turns out to be a complete wierdo and that is only the first three chapters. Not that any of the temporary
library assistants in my current library are complete wierdo's you understand, but it was like that elsewhere in my youth. The book is really well written and perceptive and readable although the chapters are a bit short and anecdotal so far but I am keen to read more to see what develops. I take my hat off to Ms Pickering.

Comments