Following on from my previous post on the 23 Research Things Marathon course:
Storify for example https://storify.com/angefitzpatrick/librarian-time-warp
Hootsuite- I'd forgotten all about that one. Never used it. You can use it to manage social media marketing campaigns. [Whoever designed the John Lewis social media campaign should win a social media Nobel prize. Never heard so much nonesense about a stupid advert in my entire life.]
Paper.li rather like Mendeley without the bib reference function?
One of the functions it allows you to do is to send out email newsletters. Paper.li helps you collect stuff.
Linkedin Georgina takes this more seriously than I do. She says it is the first thing that people will see about you and that it comes up top in search engine results so you need to put in good content. I have to say, the linkedin profile of some of my friends leaves quite a lot to be desired, and they all get along somehow. Hmm think I missed a bit...
Now we seem to be up to...
Github. Hmm. been there done that....comes under the 'Alternative Communities' Thing. I think if I were going to join an alternative communitiy it would be the Cambridge Makespace community. Except they don't play euphoniums. oops blinked, now it's
"Creating Effective presentations." Now that's a Thing. Georgina's presentations are really excellent and I would like to emulate her. Mostly she's talking about Death by Powerpoint though, not how to create an excellent video presentation such as her own. Make a post-it note timeline seems to be the key.
Next Things: Academia.edu vs Researchgate- dangers of who owns anything you share, legal hot water with publishers etc.
Communicating complex ideas. Following Geoprgina's comments on Powerpoint in an earlier Thing, I am reflecting that my powerpoint presentations are a bit text crazy which is not really how powerpoints should be these days. You are supposed to just show a pretty picture and talk while people relax and look at the pretty picture. Ryan says you have to get your ideas out there so that they become part of the Global conversation so that we can progress as a society. Marketing your research results is a very important part of the research project and is increasingly becoming part of the funding requirements.
Best Thing: Georgina's nice use of embedded time lapse Forest in a Year video.
a Forest Year from motionkicker on Vimeo.
Storify for example https://storify.com/angefitzpatrick/librarian-time-warp
Hootsuite- I'd forgotten all about that one. Never used it. You can use it to manage social media marketing campaigns. [Whoever designed the John Lewis social media campaign should win a social media Nobel prize. Never heard so much nonesense about a stupid advert in my entire life.]
Paper.li rather like Mendeley without the bib reference function?
One of the functions it allows you to do is to send out email newsletters. Paper.li helps you collect stuff.
Linkedin Georgina takes this more seriously than I do. She says it is the first thing that people will see about you and that it comes up top in search engine results so you need to put in good content. I have to say, the linkedin profile of some of my friends leaves quite a lot to be desired, and they all get along somehow. Hmm think I missed a bit...
Now we seem to be up to...
Github. Hmm. been there done that....comes under the 'Alternative Communities' Thing. I think if I were going to join an alternative communitiy it would be the Cambridge Makespace community. Except they don't play euphoniums. oops blinked, now it's
"Creating Effective presentations." Now that's a Thing. Georgina's presentations are really excellent and I would like to emulate her. Mostly she's talking about Death by Powerpoint though, not how to create an excellent video presentation such as her own. Make a post-it note timeline seems to be the key.
Next Things: Academia.edu vs Researchgate- dangers of who owns anything you share, legal hot water with publishers etc.
Communicating complex ideas. Following Geoprgina's comments on Powerpoint in an earlier Thing, I am reflecting that my powerpoint presentations are a bit text crazy which is not really how powerpoints should be these days. You are supposed to just show a pretty picture and talk while people relax and look at the pretty picture. Ryan says you have to get your ideas out there so that they become part of the Global conversation so that we can progress as a society. Marketing your research results is a very important part of the research project and is increasingly becoming part of the funding requirements.
Best Thing: Georgina's nice use of embedded time lapse Forest in a Year video.
a Forest Year from motionkicker on Vimeo.
Comments
I am Georgina Cronin, the presenter and creator of 23 Research Things Cambridge. Ange is someone else entirely! You might be thinking of Ange Fitzpatrick who I used to work with :)