A Veritable Cornucopia of Research Things

Further to my previous four posts on the 23 Research Things course, we reach:

Thing 14: Sourcing and using good images
(Flickr or Photopin - checking of licence is essential, use of Google images tools to select size and licence type, pizabay etc.) I had not heard of AdobeKuler or Pictaculous which generate colour palettes from any picture that you upload. I tried it out on a picture from our library home page. It is indeed a very clever thing in a world where colour and images are so important to presentation and style.

Pictaculous analyses a Medical Library photo
 HaikuDeck allows you to create simple slides with creative commons images and they populate the references for you at the bottom of the slide. I came across this program when creating a Slideshare display http://www.slideshare.net/AnnaMartin1/villain-of-steam-dionysius-lardner-17931859-55830013 but I used it to create the solid colour cutout slides, which was one of their features. The video also mentions uploading images to Google image search to reverse image search for an image, in the same way that Tineye does.

Thing 15: Collaboration tools 
 Evernote, with it's web clicker, which stores ideas online and is shareable online. I tried it out but it's not really for me. Doodle polls on the other hand are pretty invaluable if you're trying to plan a meeting time. Google Drive, SkyDrive and Dropbox are ubiquitous these days and hardly need introducing and are, of course vital in business, for instance when some Irish scientists collaborated on a project with my company, we ever got to meet in person but we often shared files there that were, in those days, too big to email to each other, and of course you can work on shared documents that way without having to worry about version control.
Pinterest exploration of style in preparation for a library poster

I was pleased to read that our University now support One Drive.  We have just begun a pilot scheme to use Trello for our marketing team project communications and in the past I have used Sharepoint. Joomla, Drupal and Wordpress also have some sharing functions and can be used for in-house communication and file storage, although I don't know anyone who is using it that way- many teams in the University use Moodle though and also Google Drive,. There is still grandma's old Wiki too, which Cambridge Librarians use sometimes for organising conferences. And we use Skype to talk to collaborators abroad.

Thing 16: Crowdsourcing and citizen science
 Kickstarter helps you raise funds for a project but be careful you don't  outrage your friends because the concept was a bit too radical for them. It is a good way for potential funders to guage how much support proposed inventions might have, and this seed funding thus often generates larger scale support from Angels (or Dragons if you're British). Marketing your idea is fairly key to success (also obviously having a good idea in the first place), and the process itself raises the profile of your project.

Citizen Science is research carried out by members of the public who are not paid researchers. For example Zooniverse.

Comments